Immediate vacancies available
Apprenticeships, Traineeships and Full-time Courses across the South
What’s involved in Fitness Instructing?
Fitness instructors work with all kinds of people – from those wishing to manage their weight or fitness level, to elderly people wanting to become more mobile, through to serious fitness enthusiasts.
Over 7 million people are members of gyms and fitness centres in Britain, and there is consequently a high demand for Fitness Instructors to teach people how to sensibly and safely reach their health and fitness goals.
What’s it like working in Fitness Instructing?
If you’re keen on health and fitness and enjoy meeting people, this could be an ideal career for you. As a Fitness Instructor, you will lead and organise group and individual exercise programmes to help people to improve their health and fitness. Your work may involve a range of activities or you could specialise in a specific areas such as:
- keep fit
- aquacise (exercise in water)
- weight training
You could also develop the skills to work with specific groups of people, such as older adults, children, people with disabilities or people referred by doctors.
To become a fitness instructor, you will need to be outgoing and friendly and have the ability to motivate and inspire people. As a full-time instructor, you will usually work around 40 hours a week, often on a shift or rota basis covering early mornings, evenings and weekends. Once qualified many instructors work on a part-time or freelance, (self-employed) basis.
What can I expect to earn?
- Starting salaries can be around £13,000 a year, rising to between £14,000 and over £20,000 a year.
- Freelance instructors can earn between £10 to £20 an hour.
Figures are supplied by the National Careers Service and are intended as a guideline only.
How can HTP Apprenticeship College help me get a job in Fitness Instructing?
To be a Fitness Instructor, you will need to complete a recognised qualification before starting work. HTP Apprenticeship College offers three great ways to enable you to start a career. We offer Full-time courses at our Skills Centre, available at Levels 1, 2 and 3, Traineeships which include work experience to make sure the sector is right for you, or Apprenticeships where you will be earning and learning from day one.
Thousands of young people have succeeded with an Apprenticeship through HTP. You could too!
Josh Morris completed his Level 2 qualification at our Riverbank Campus before progressing onto his Advanced Apprenticeship in Personal Training at WightFit, a private gym, in Newport on the Isle of Wight.
Get started today – your way
There are three great ways you can begin your career in Fitness Instructing through HTP Apprenticeship College.
Choosing the right one for you depends on how ready you are to start work.
Get straight into work
Ready to start your career in the Fitness industry? Why not earn-while-you-learn and gain nationally-recognised qualifications with an HTP Apprenticeship – the best way to get straight into the workplace. The first stage is usually an ‘Intermediate’ Apprenticeship and if after that, you want to gain more qualifications, you can progress onto an Advanced Apprenticeship.
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness
- Level 2 Diploma in Promoting Health and Wellness
- Level 1 or 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English (if you do not already have GCSE at Grades C or above)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (if you do not already have GCSE at Grades C or above)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities – Level 3 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
Get some experience first
Not sure if the Fitness Industry is for you? No problem. Try out working and gaining skills in a real business for 6 weeks to 6 months and find out if it is. If for any reason it isn’t, we can help you find another one! A Traineeship a great way to get a taste of the workplace, gain experience and skills, and progress onto a full Apprenticeship or other employment.
HTP Training works with a number of local gyms who will offer a keen young person a chance to demonstrate their potential. HTP will help find you the right one for you and get you underway. When you are on work experience you may get some expenses towards things like travel and meals.
On a Traineeship you will:
- get a minimum of 6 weeks work experience
- take part in classroom-based training at one of our training centres to help you prepare for work
- have the chance to achieve maths and English qualifications (if you need to)
- receive all the information, advice and guidance you need to get your career underway
After your Traineeship
After you have completed your Traineeship you will progress onto an Apprenticeship or into other employment, possibly self-employment.
Get ready and confident
Most employers in the Fitness industry will only recruit people with relevant experience and qualifications That’s where our career-focused Full-time Courses come in, taking place at our Riverbank Campus in Newport. They’re not like being at school and include a period of work experience with a local company to enable you to gain practical workplace skills and knowledge.
This Full-time Course
You’ll be based at our Skills Centre at Little London in Newport on the Isle of Wight, where you will undertake the Level 2 Diploma in Promoting Health and Wellness, along with work experience with a local employer.
Some of things you’ll learn on this Course include:
- basic human anatomy
- how to use a personal exercise programme
- an introduction to the role of the fitness instructor
- an introduction to the fitness industry and careers in fitness
- the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
After your Full-time Course
After you have successfully completed the Level 2 qualification you can progress on to the full-time Level 3 course or we will help you secure an Advanced Apprenticeship with a local employer.
Call us now • IoW: 01983 533926 • Portsmouth: 02392 374752