Apprenticeships, Traineeships and Full-time Courses
What exactly is ‘Business Administration’?
Around 3.2 million people in the UK help to keep businesses running. Administrators need a broad range of skills to work efficiently and to help increase business productivity. Skills shortages identified by organisations include a lack of office administration, customer handling, technical, practical, oral communication and IT skills, all of which are covered within the Business Administration training we offer.
What’s it like working in this industry?
Almost every company and organisation employs administrative assistants. Most administration roles will involve carrying out clerical and other duties in support of the business you work for. If you’re well organised, pay close attention to detail and like being part of a team, then a Business Administration job could suit you perfectly. Business Administration includes job titles such as administrators, office juniors, receptionists/medical receptionists, junior legal secretaries or junior medical secretaries. Your duties may vary but typically, you’ll:
- deal with incoming and outgoing post;
- answer telephone, email and social media enquiries;
- cover reception duties, like greeting and looking after visitors;
- type up documents, for example letters and reports;
- update computer records;
- use office equipment such as printers, photocopiers and fax machines;
- stock take and re-order supplies;
- set up meetings and take ‘minutes’;
- make travel arrangements for staff.
You’ll need a good standard of general education, normally including GCSEs in Maths and English. You’ll also need good telephone and keyboard skills, together with the ability to use common office computer programs.
What can I expect to earn?
- Salaries can be between £14,000 and £18,000 a year, depending on where you work and your responsibilities.
- Experienced workers can earn from £19,000 to £23,000 a year.
Figures are supplied by the National Careers Service and are intended as a guideline only.
Can HTP Apprenticeship College help me get a job?
Yes – and you don’t need any previous experience or qualifications to start a programme with HTP Apprenticeship College, although you will need to have achieved a minimum of Grade 4/C in English and Maths on completion of training to secure employment.
- Full-time Courses are available at Level 2.
- Traineeships, where you undertake work experience to make sure the industry is right for you
- Apprenticeships where you will be earning and learning right from the start.
See below for more details of our programmes:
Discover our Business & Administration Qualifications
Full-Time Course Study Programme
Why learn with US?
- Rated 'Good' by OFSTED;
- Industry-experienced tutors;
- Great facilities, centrally located in Newport Isle of Wight and Portsmouth;
- Smaller group sizes, with personalised 1-to-1 support.
How is HTP different to school and other colleges?
The main difference between learning with us compared to school or other colleges is that we give you the flexibility to learn in a way that works for you.
Our full-time courses blend classroom learning with practical work experience in a real company giving you the opportunity to bring your learning to life in an industry setting.
Our apprenticeships are a great route directly into working life. You can start earning a real salary right away and fast-track your career options by working in-house as part of a team. You'll be supported by one of our expert Training Consultants, alongside the day-to-day guidance of your employer.
Whichever route you take, our promise is that we put you and your needs first, so you'll always have the support you need to succeed.
Sounds good. How do i find out more?
Give us a call on 01983 533926 or fill in your details here and one of the team will be in touch soon.
Meet the Team
Charlotte Lock-Dean (right), HTP Apprenticeship College Business Administration Training Consultant
Chloe Richardson completed her Business Administration Intermediate Apprenticeship at Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust.
Fiz Begum completed her Business Administration Higher Apprenticeship at IOW NHS Trust.
Call us now • IoW: 01983 533926 • Portsmouth: 02392 374752