You could have general cleaning duties or specialise in certain types of cleaning.
These could include:
- cleaning carpets and upholstery
- stripping and re-sealing hard floor coverings
- cleaning premises where food is prepared
- industrial cleaning of new buildings
- cleaning hospital wards
- house and squat clearance
- cleaning passenger vehicles
- cleaning at heights, using either ladders or mobile access equipment
- clearing up after fires, floods or building work
- crime scene cleaning
You would need to know which cleaning chemicals to use for each task, and follow safety procedures, for example when using solvents to remove graffiti or oils. You may have to do some simple maintenance of the equipment you use, and check the stock levels of cleaning materials.
Full-time cleaners can start at around £12,000 a year. Earnings are higher for supervisors and specialist cleaners. Part-time cleaners are usually paid by the hour.
Figures are supplied by the National Careers Service and are intended as a guideline only.
How can HTP Apprenticeship College help me get a job in the Cleaning Services sector?
You do not need any formal qualifications to be a cleaner but you will need to be able to show employers that you are reliable and able to do the job.
HTP Apprenticeship College offers two great ways to start your career:
- Traineeships, where you undertake work experience to make sure the industry is right for you
- Apprenticeships where you will be earning and learning right from the start.
Thousands of young people have succeeded with an Apprenticeship through HTP Apprenticeship College. You could too!
Get started today – your way
There are two great ways you can begin your career in Cleaning Services through HTP Apprenticeship College.
Choosing the right one for you depends on how ready you are to start work.
Get straight into work
Ready to start or progress your career in Cleaning Services? Why not earn while you learn and gain nationally-recognised qualifications with an HTP Apprenticeship. The first stage is usually an ‘Intermediate’ Apprenticeship which will give you an excellent grounding in the essential knowledge and skills required in this vital and rewarding industry.
- Level 2 Certificate in Cleaning and Support Service Skills
- Level 1 or 2 Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT (if you do not already have GCSE at Grades C or above)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
Get some experience first
HTP Training works with a large number of employers who will offer a keen young person a chance to demonstrate their potential with a view to taking them on as an Apprentice. HTP will help find you the right potential employer for you and get you underway. When you are on work experience you may get some expenses towards things like travel and meals. On a Traineeship you will:
- get a minimum of 6 weeks work experience
- take part in classroom-based training at one of our training centres to help you prepare for work
- have the chance to achieve maths and English qualifications (if you need to)
- receive all the information, advice and guidance you need to get your career underway
After your Traineeship
Call us now • IoW: 01983 533926 • Portsmouth: 02392 374752