Level 1 Diploma in Work-Based Horse Care and RidingFull-Time Course
The Level 1 Diploma in Horse Care and Riding is suitable to those entering the equine industry and have limited previous experience. It is a work-related, competence-based qualification, and is designed for someone who wishes to progress into work. It reflects the skills and knowledge needed to do assist with routine jobs effectively. The qualification will allow you to gain the required skills and knowledge needed to work in a Horse-related business, such as a Riding Stables, Equestrian Centre, Trekking centre or a similar job.
This qualification is delivered in partnership with the Island Riding Centre based on Staplers Road on the outskirts of Newport. Here you will develop the skills and knowledge through a combination of classroom based lessons and real practical work experience.
No formal entry requirements.
September – July
The Learning Journey
Training and development will take place during this part of the course at an HTP Apprenticeship College Campus. In addition, you will undertake work experience with an employer chosen to meet your needs and aspirations.
Whilst at HTP you will also receive training and support to enable you to improve your Maths and English skills. There are a range of qualification levels available, including GCSE, and you will work towards the qualification which is most suitable for you.
What you'll learn while on-programme
Mandatory modules you will need to cover include:
- Principles of maintaining health and safety in the workplace;
- Maintain health and safety in the workplace;
- Principles of maintaining good working relations with others;
- Maintain good working relations with others;
- Principles of feeding and watering horses;
- Assist with feeding and watering horses;
- Principles of grooming and washing horses under direction;
- Groom and wash horses under direction;
- Principles of cleaning the stables and yard;
- Assist with cleaning the stables and yard;
- Principles of putting on and taking off tack;
- Assist with putting on and taking off tack;
- Principles of cleaning tack and horse clothing;
- Assist with cleaning tack and horse clothing;
- Principles of putting on and taking off horse rugs;
- Assist with putting on and taking off horse rugs;
- Principles of leading and controlling a horse for inspection under direction;
- Lead and control a horse for inspection under direction;
- Principles of catching and moving horses under direction;
- Catch and move horses under direction;
- Principles of mounting and dismounting quiet horses under supervision;
- Mount and dismount quiet horses under supervision;
- Principles of riding horses in an enclosed area;
- Ride horses in an enclosed area under supervision.
In order to achieve this qualification, candidates must show that they meet the relevant outcomes and the required knowledge and understanding. This will be achieved by completing Multiple Choice Tests and Practical assignments.
Certificates will be awarded for each qualification achieved.
On successful completion of this course you will have the opportunity to progress onto the following:
Call us now • IoW: 01983 533926 • Portsmouth: 02392 374752