For over 30 years UKSA in Cowes have been helping children take their first steps on the water, launching careers, pushing personal training development with world-class training and offering transformational opportunities as a leading youth charity.
They provide adventures for 8,000 children and train over 1,500 professional career students to work within the growing global maritime sector each year. Their aim is to remove both financial and social barriers to enable students from any background to be able to access UKSA programmes.
UKSA are now looking to add a member to their Kitchen Team and are currently seeking an Apprentice Chef. Within this role you will be assisting with the preparation and cooking of tasty, healthy food for the customers whilst adhering to the Health and Safety and Food Hygiene requirements of the UKSA policy. No experience is necessary as you will be working alongside a Sous Chef who will also be acting as your mentor, with you becoming proficient in the skills, knowledge and behaviours of a Production Chef by the end of your course.
The following are the core duties and responsibilities of this job role that you will be learning to become proficient in during your Apprenticeship, with you being able to confidently do all of these by the end. Occasionally you may be required to carry out other tasks dependant on factors such as workload and staffing levels:
- Working in all areas of the kitchen, especially with the preparation and cooking of food
- Ensuring good working practice, and ensuring health and safety practices are adhered to at all times
- Presenting food and serving meals to customers
- Meeting deadlines to ensure efficient operation
- Stock reporting, ordering and rotation of stock
- Completing any relevant cleaning schedule and any kitchen equipment as required for each shift
- Ensuring excellent food hygiene practices at all times
- Work in a way that demonstrates a duty to take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions.
- Co-operate with employers and co-workers to help everyone meet their legal requirements.
- Ensuring operational safeguarding policies and practices are followed by all staff and that safeguarding is actively promoted throughout the organisation at all times
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective time management (Planning & Organising)
- Ability to work as a team member as well as individually
- Good interpersonal skills
- Being Clean and Tidy
- Ability to follow policy and procedures
- Basic Knife Skills
- Basic Prep Skills
- A passion for the culinary arts
- A drive to learn
- Polite and confident
- Flexible and cooperative
- Forward thinker
- Ability to work under pressure
- Have a can do attitude
- Not afraid to ask questions when needed
- Takes pride in their work
- The successful candidate will be working towards the Level 2 Production Chef Apprenticeship.
- Off the job training will be provided, where you will have the time to complete your portfolio work, attend off job training seminars and have allocated time for mentoring and being shadowed.
Expected Apprenticeship Duration:
- 16 months.
- National Apprenticeship Minimum Wage initially
- 40 Hours a week over 5 days, shifts to be confirmed