Website Urban Saints Westbrook
Urban Saints Westbrook is a residential centre suitable for youth and school groups, set in 18 acres of mixed parkland near Ryde, on the beautiful Isle of Wight. Groups have the option to stay in the Main House or camping in the grounds and have access to a range of meeting and eating spaces plus a whole load of activities across the site.
Urban Saints Westbrook provides a safe and fun environment, founded on Christian beliefs so that young people have the opportunity to form genuine and lasting relationships. The centre will also provide a place where they can express their faith and have the tools to learn more about it.
Urban Saints Westbrook are looking to add another person to their team to undergo the Level 2 Production Chef Apprenticeship and to become a valued member of their kitchen. Within this role you will be assisting with the preparation and cooking of tasty, healthy food for the customers whilst adhering to the Health and Safety and Food Hygiene requirements. No experience is necessary as you will be working alongside a Chef who will also be acting as your mentor, with you becoming proficient in the skills, knowledge and behaviours of a Production Chef by the end of your course.
The following are the core duties and responsibilities of this job role that you will be learning to become proficient in during your Apprenticeship, with you being able to confidently do all of these by the end. Occasionally you may be required to carry out other tasks dependant on factors such as workload and staffing levels:
- Assist the Kitchen Coordinator with food preparation when necessary.
- Keep up to date with each segment of the training programme.
- Washing up, cleaning and clearing all kitchen areas.
- Receiving and unpacking all deliveries.
- Emptying bins, sweeping, and mopping floors at the end of shifts.
- Ensuring all equipment is clean and put away correctly.
- Deep cleaning fridges and store rooms to maintain sanitary and kitchen safety standards
- Assisting the Kitchen Coordinator in all kitchen-related office administration and third-party contractors.
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective time management (Planning & Organising)
- Ability to work as a team member as well as individually
- Good interpersonal skills
- Being Clean and Tidy
- Ability to follow policy and procedures
- Basic Knife Skills
- Basic Prep Skills
- A passion for the culinary arts
- A drive to learn
- Polite and confident
- Flexible and cooperative
- Forward thinker
- Ability to work under pressure
- Have a can do attitude
- Not afraid to ask questions when needed
- Takes pride in their work
- The successful candidate will be working towards the Level 2 Production Chef Apprenticeship.
- Off the job training will be provided, where you will have the time to complete your portfolio work, attend off job training seminars and have allocated time for mentoring and being shadowed.
Expected Apprenticeship Duration:
- 16 months.
- £9.50 an hour
- 30 hours per week. 20% of that time must be use for training. Some weekend or evening work will be required depending on rota.