Harvey Browns Food Hall and Cafe Restaurant
Harvey Browns are putting together a team to drive forward their Food hall & Café Restaurant. They are located in the heart of the Arreton valley in a stunning position by the fishing lakes in the middle of our farmland. Harvey Browns are passionate about food and using great fresh ingredients, much of which is grown and produced right on their own doorstep.
The Food hall comprises of an in-house Butchery, Deli and Farm Shop stocked with produce from their own farm and selectively sourced from farms across the Island and the UK. The Food hall and Café Restaurant will operate together to give customers a uniquely combined shopping and dining experience in a beautiful rural setting.
They are searching for enthusiastic and passionate people to undergo the Commis Chef Apprenticeship and join the lovely and experienced head chef and his innovative team in their brand-new purpose-built kitchen. Serving Breakfast and Lunch to a high standard in an inspiring environment working with wonderful seasonal local island produce.
This is a fantastic opportunity for chefs to be able to develop their talents and progress in their career. Showcasing their creativity with a rare work life balance, it is an opportunity not to be missed. Apply today and become part of something new and exceptional.
No experience is necessary as you will be provided with thorough training throughout the entire Apprenticeship which will enable you to build on your knowledge and skills to be successful in this role. Once you have completed your Apprenticeship, Harvey Browns would love to look at continuing your education and the growth of your skills.
The following are the core duties and responsibilities of this job role that you will be learning to become proficient in during your Apprenticeship, with you being able to confidently do all of these by the end. Occasionally you may be required to carry out other tasks dependant on factors such as workload and staffing levels:
- Working in all areas of the kitchen, especially with the preparation and cooking of food
- Ensuring good working practice, and ensuring health and safety practices are adhered to at all times
- Presenting food and serving meals to customers
- Meeting deadlines to ensure efficient operation
- Stock reporting, ordering and rotation of stock
- Completing any relevant cleaning schedule and any kitchen equipment as required for each shift
- Ensuring excellent food hygiene practices at all times
- Work in a way that demonstrates a duty to take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions.
- Co-operate with employers and co-workers to help everyone meet their legal requirements.
- Know the sources and quality points of common food groups including meat, poultry, game, offal, fish, shellfish, vegetables, sauces, soups, stocks, rice, pasta/noodles, eggs, vegetable protein, dough, pastry, cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones, hot and cold desserts
- Ensuring operational safeguarding policies and practices are followed by all staff and that safeguarding is actively promoted throughout the organisation at all times.
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective time management (Planning & Organising)
- Ability to work as a team member as well as individually
- Good interpersonal skills
- Being Clean and Tidy
- Ability to follow policy and procedures
- Basic Knife Skills
- Basic Prep Skills
- A passion for the culinary arts
- A drive to learn
- Polite and confident
- Flexible and cooperative
- Forward thinker
- Ability to work under pressure
- Have a can do attitude
- Not afraid to ask questions when needed
- Takes pride in their work
- The successful candidate will be working towards the Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship.
- Off the job training will be provided, where you will have the time to complete your portfolio work, attend off job training seminars and have allocated time for mentoring and being shadowed.
Expected Apprenticeship Duration:
- 18 months.
- Dependant on Skills and Experience