Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust
An exciting opportunity to start a career in the HSDU department atPortsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust. You’ll learn how to undertakemedical device decontamination duties and carry out collection, receipt,disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, inspection, packing, sterilisation anddistribution of reusable medical devices.
What will I be doing be doing?
- During your apprenticeship you will learn to:
- Undertake training as required to enable safe, efficient and effectivecleaning, disinfection, sterilization and distribution of equipment.
- Liaise with all patient areas as required by the Supervisor to ensure that theequipment is available to the user where and when required.
- Take receipt, check, dismantle, clean, inspect and re-assemble complexitems of equipment according to written and/or verbal instructions.
- Operate specialist machinery required for the processing of medicaldevices in a safe and appropriate manner in accordance with documentedprocedures and training.
- Ensure that all finished goods provided to customer/service users are fit foruse by performing quality checks on the integrity of packs and sterilityindicators.
- Test equipment and instruments to ascertain their condition for use.
- Assist in maintaining stock levels of materials and processed items forservice users including the delivery and procurement of sterile items andraw materials.
- Maintain records of production and issues using computer systems toachieve this as necessary.
- Report faulty or missing equipment to the Supervisor or Manager.
What training will I take and what qualification will I get at the end?
- Level 2 Healthcare Science Assistant Apprenticeship Standard, which includes the Level 2 BTEC Diploma in Healthcare Science.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
If you are successful in applying for an apprenticeship position and if you continue to demonstrate the right attributes and attitude, there will be opportunities to progress onto higher levels of education, and then further employment options with Portsmouth Hospital NHS Trust.
30 hours per week; shifts to be discussed.
Possible start date
01 Nov 2023
Intermediate Level 2