• Portsmouth, Hampshire •
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust provides a range of acute services at Queen Alexandra Hospital.
As part of Clinical Engineering support to the Trust the Medical Equipment Library (MEL) service manage the loans, collection and support of MEL equipment to the clinical services and is looking to appoint a person as a MEL Apprentice Support Technician. The range of equipment supported by the MEL service covers general medical equipment used on wards and more specialist equipment such as wound therapy and pressure relieving equipment.
The service carries out regular audits of its assets and offers technical and customer support to users for MEL devices. The MEL also supports the management of the Trust profile beds against the external contract.
You will report directly to the Clinical Engineering Team Manager.
- To supply, retrieve and support Medical Equipment Library (MEL) equipment and other equipment used in locations supported by Clinical Engineering.
- To update system records of repairs, loans and returns as required.
- To recognise and help resolve issues that users borrowing equipment may experience concerning cleanliness, unavailability, technical issues and use.
- To promote the Medical Equipment Library as a first class service meeting the needs of wards and departments.
- To communicate promptly and effectively with service users and Clinical Engineering for the optimal running of the MEL Service.
Requirements and prospects
- Must be computer literate.
- A willingness to learn.
- Committed and dedicated.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of the need for confidentiality.
- Smart and Presentable.
- Good general standard of education.
- GCSE A*-C or equivalent in Science, Maths and English.
If you are successful in applying for an Apprenticeship position and if you continue to demonstrate the right attributes and attitude, there will be opportunities to progress onto the advanced level apprenticeship and then further employment options with Portsmouth Hospital NHS Trust.
Things to consider
Weekend and out of hours support may be required in the future.
Training to be provided
You will be enrolled with HTP Apprenticeship College in Partnership with Portsmouth Hospitals and will be required to complete your Level 2 Healthcare Science Assistant Apprenticeship Programme within the duration of the placement.
Also (if required):
- Functional Skills: Maths and English.
Healthcare Science Assistant
Call us now • IoW: 01983 533926 • Portsmouth: 02392 374752