Essential skills to ensure you’re work-ready
Functional Skills: English
Is it for me?
Functional Skills Qualification in English at Entry Level, Level 1 and Level 2
What would I do on this course?
Functional Skills in English cover three areas.
- Speaking, Listening and Communicating
For Entry Levels 1 – 3
- Reading – paper based, externally set and marked by HTP (Max 45 minutes)
- Read two source documents and the answer questions
- Writing – Writing Task and Spelling Task (Maximum 55 minutes)
- Speaking, Listening and Communication (20 minutes)
- Entry Level 1
- Activity 1 – One to one activity involving instructions
- Activity 2 – One to one discussion
- Entry Level 2
- Exchange of information
- Group discussion
- Entry Level 3
- Group activity followed by formal discussion
- Informal group discussion
- Entry Level 1
For Level 1 and 2
- Reading – online, externally set and marked (1 hour)
- Candidates read two source documents, answer questions on each document and make comparisons across the documents.
- Writing – online, externally set and marked (1 hour 20 minutes)
- Produce two pieces of text based on scenarios
- Speaking, Listening and Communication – marked by HTP and quality assured by City & Guilds (30 minutes)
- A formal discussion on an unfamiliar topic
- A presentation/extended explanation on a familiar topic followed by a discussion with peers
- A discussion following another candidate’s presentation extended explanation
Where does the training take place?
For apprentices, Functional Skills are delivered one-to-one in the workplace with additional taught support sessions available at one of HTP’s campuses.
For Study Programme learners, Functional Skills are classroom-based as part of the timetable.
How do I get started?
Functional Skills are only currently available if you are currently undertaking an Apprenticeship, Full-time Study programme or Traineeship.
What support will I get?
At HTP Apprenticeship College we will do everything we can to support you and to improve your life chances. In addition to providing support for your programme and qualifications, we want learners to feel that they are in a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment that promotes social, physical and moral development.
What advice and guidance can I expect to receive?
From the time you contact us, during training, and after you complete your programme, our experienced staff are on hand to provide you with the help and advice you need to achieve your career aspirations. More information about the Careers Programme we offer can be found on our Support Page or contact one of our Recruitment and Careers Advisors using our Contact Form or by calling 01983 533926.