Did you know there are more than 150 different careers available in the NHS on the Island?
Our two-year education programme can help you start a rewarding career at the Isle of Wight NHS Trust. Would you like a career in Healthcare or Business Support? Join our programme and you’ll work with some of the most experienced healthcare professionals on the Island.
If you’re aged 16-18, leaving school, or currently not working, this exciting course is a great alternative to 6th Form or College, and will give you access to Higher Education qualifications in the future, such as a Degree Apprenticeship.
Live, learn and work on the Isle of Wight
This careers programme is a unique collaboration between HTP Apprenticeship College and Isle of Wight NHS Trust, designed to give young people an entry path to a career within the NHS.
The programme is comprised of a 6-month Traineeship, followed by an Apprenticeship for up to 18 months, with a range of rewarding careers on offer.
You’ll receive expert support, advice and guidance throughout, leading to nationally-recognised qualifications. You can study additional Maths, English and Digital Skills tuition and qualifications if required.
Members of HTP’s NHS Career Pathway programme first cohort.
What will I learn?
During your initial Traineeship placements, you will gain skills and knowledge in Healthcare Support and Business Support Services. At first you’ll observe practitioners at work, learning the importance of each area of the NHS. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions before being able to take an active role yourself, with full support.
Healthcare Support: Community Care and Mental Health services
You’ll spend time in a range of Primary and Community settings under the guidance of some of the most experienced Healthcare professionals on the Island.
- Spend time in clinical areas to get a better understanding across the Trust
- Support patients with meal times and with menu choices
- Support with making appointments for the Day Care Centre, Inpatient Unit clinics and home visits
- Support with personal care and ‘pampering’ – nails / hair etc. on the Inpatient Unit and Day Centre
- Assist physio and occupational therapists to support treatment plans
- Support the Housekeeping role on the Inpatient Unit
- Learn to provide skin care and apply support hosiery
- Undertake activity sessions alongside Age UK co-ordinators
- Telephone survey to monitor quality of patient experience
- Work with the Technology enabled care team to monitor patients health remotely, e.g. Blood Pressure levels
- Liaise with other services to access resources, care and equipment
- Help to create information and resources for service users.
Business Support Services: Administration, customer service and support
You will also undertake a range of general office duties including filing, laminating/photocopying, inputting data, archiving and record keeping, managing electronic diaries, book meetings, taking minutes of meetings.
You will also have the chance to learn some more specific tasks including:
- Learning more about running social media pages and updating web pages
- Learn to co-ordinate ordering of equipment from Community Equipment Service, chasing/tracking order progress. Keeping a log/tracking of equipment, frames, crutches etc. and delivering to wards as required
- Learn about NHS Jobs and how to advertise and recruit
- Learn to manage electronic diaries
- Meet, greet and provide assistance to visitors
What comes next?
Once you have successfully completed your Traineeship, you will progress to an Apprenticeship. Each programme is designed to take you to the next level of competence in your chosen career by giving you the new skills, knowledge and behaviours you’ll need to progress and succeed.
Your Apprenticeship options are:
- Level 2 Adult Care Worker
- Level 3 Lead Adult Care Worker
- Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner
- Level 3 Business Administrator
You’ll become a full-time member of staff with an official contract of employment. You’ll also earn a salary, along with holiday pay and other NHS benefits.
Start a career with the NHS
- Get moving quickly! It’s a much faster way into work than a traditional college course.
- Get hands-on experience in a number of roles across the Trust.
- Gain nationally-recognised qualifications.
- One-to-one support.
- Career coaching and progression advice & guidance.
- English, Maths and Digital Skills support if required.
- No tuition fees.
- £50/week training allowance available for the duration of the Traineeship.
- On the Apprenticeship you will be paid a full NHS salary.
What do people on this programme think?
“I always wanted to be a paramedic but I’ve learned so much on my Traineeship. I loved working on the wards – now I want to be a paediatric nurse.”
Chaima, Programme Cohort 1 member
“I’ve really enjoyed my Traineeship and now I’m progressing to an Apprenticeship, where I’ll be a full-time member of staff, with a real job and salary.”
Dawson, Programme Cohort 1 member
Ready to apply? Questions?
Isle of Wight NHS Career Pathway Enquiry
Use this quick message form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.