• Wroxall, Isle of Wight •
If you are looking for a new opportunity to earn while you learn, HTP could have the Apprenticeship for you!
Wroxall Primary School are looking for an Apprentice Preschool Assistant.
We emphasise individual academic achievement, helping children to develop and flourish as independent, active learners and celebrating success. We focus on the individual supporting their intellectual, emotional, moral, spiritual, social and physical development. The whole school is a caring, nurturing, friendly community. We are a Christian school with an inclusive and open-minded vision, respecting freedom of religion and belief, working for the common good of the whole community.
To support the Pre-School Nursery Manager in providing a safe and stimulating environment for all children. To ensure that you give generous care and attention to each child, to play, work and learn together, to ensure the safety and well-being of the children.
Main Duties will include:
- Promote equality as an integral part of a role and treat everyone with fairness and dignity,
- To develop and maintain a generic skill set that allows the Isle of Wight Council to employ your skills, abilities and experiences across the Council and its formal partnerships as needed.
- Build on what the children already know to ‘scaffold’ their learning enabling children to move forward in their development,
- Assist with the planning of the Early Year Foundation Stage,
- To be a key person, undertake observations of children and keep details, effective records which then ensures that the needs and interests of each child are met,
- Prepare children’s profiles as directed by the Manager,
- Communicate appropriate information to parents about the progress/achievements of their child,
- Advise the Manager of any concerns you may have of any child or any child protection issues or concerns regarding a parent/carer as well as the safety of equipment, respecting confidentiality as necessary,
- Be aware of any special educational needs of a child and familiarise yourself with the child’s IDP’s to ensure they have access to all areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage,
- Implement planning through activities/experiences that are at the developmental level of each child differentiating them as appropriate,
- Help set up the pre-school areas before the children arrive and to tidy/clean up after the children have left,
- Encourage children to take part in all activities, extending and stimulating play, listening to children and assisting them when needed,
- Play with children and become involved in the play/activities when appropriate,
- Promote positive behaviour by positive encouragement, praise and role modelling,
- Observe and record children’s play relating this to the stages of development,
- Assist with the children’s personal hygiene, washing hands, changing clothes/nappies when necessary,
- Supervise snack and lunch times,
- Follow the rota for checking and cleaning the toilets throughout the day,
- Be aware and follow the code of dress for Pre-School staff,
- Keep any information regarding children, families and other staff completely confidential,
- Assist and take part in special events, outings and visits,
- Attend staff meetings and help in the planning process,
- Attend any relevant training as directed by the Manager/Headteacher or Governing Body,
- Assist and follow directions from the Manager,
- Attend parent consultations and any parents’ evenings if required,
- Recognise that parents/carers are their child’s first educators and are therefore the most important and that staff are co-workers in providing this care and education,
- Undertake any additional tasks as directed by the Manager/Headteacher or Governing Body.
- Generic quality statement:
- The isle of Wight Council expects that its staff will adhere to its policies and procedures. All members of staff are expected to be familiar with procedures and undertake appropriate activities to support their learning and development.
- The Isle of Wight Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and operates stringent safer recruitment practices.
- Diversity and Equality:
- All employees are expected to treat others with dignity and respect.
- Health and Safety:
- The Isle of Wight Council has a duty to protect employees and all employees have a duty to protect themselves and others from harm as far as is reasonably practicable.
- Data Protection and ICT Security:
- All employees are required to ensure that any information or data collected or input in to a Council system complies with the standards set out and any associated processes that are specific to an area of work.
You will have the full support of senior staff in training for the above duties.
This job description is correct as at the date given above. In consultation with the postholder it is liable to variation by management to reflect or anticipate changes to the job. As a term of employment the postholder may be required to undertake other duties in this post or, following consultation, any other post in any of the Isle of Wight Council’s Directorates.
- Would ideally have good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Communication skills,
- IT literate,
- Good work ethic.
- Attention to detail,
- Keen interest in Teaching,
- Able to work on individual tasks,
- Be able to set a high standard as a role model for the children,
- Flexible approach to work,
- Friendly with a professional communications/customer service approach.
- You will undertake the Level 2 / 3 Childcare – you will be required to work towards you qualification whilst working – gaining valuable knowledge and skills – you will also be required to attend off the job training workshops,
- You will also be required to undertake English and Maths functions skills if required,
- Additional training to be undertaken in keeping with the requirements of the role and school.
- National Apprenticeship Wage.
- Monday – Friday,
- Term time,
- 8:30 am – 4pm,
- Includes 30 minutes for lunch,
- 35 hours per week.
Expected Apprenticeship Duration:
- 13 months.
Possible Start Date:
- As soon as possible.
Enquire about this vacancy
Post expires at 5:00pm on Friday March 29th, 2019